Tuesday 7 February 2012

Why is Buddha fat?

Yesterday mostly consisted of me sleeping.  I believe I had a touch of the flu or a mild case of food poisoning.  I was light headed and dizzy, and was burning up.  Mon invited me to go with her to the temple the next day but I had to decline due to my condition.  Since going to the temple would require me getting up really early I thought it would be best for my body and I to get as much rest as possible.  And I was right!  The next morning (today) I was golden. :)  
      
So to proceed with my question, "Why is Buddha fat?"
Meet Hotei, the laughing Buddha.
His big belly is a symbol of happiness, good luck, and generosity.  And generosity he receives.  Buddhists, which consists of 95% of the population, feed Buddha every full and half moon.  On these days they go to the temple as well, to feed the Monks and ask for good luck for them and their families.  Today was a full moon and just like every other Buddhist Mon places out a bowl of fruit as a food offering.  In exchange for food she asks Buddha for good luck. 
Everything and anything is based on good luck down here.  Small things, such as going to the market and being able to find a parking space is even considered good luck.  
Hotei is not the original Buddha but was based on a eccentric chinese Zen monk who lived 1,000 years ago.  In total there are 28 Buddha's which are displayed in different positions and have different meanings.  I will be sure to post a blog, after I have done some research, about the Buddha statues in depth.  
P.S.  I don't believe the real reason behind Hotei being perceived as fat is due to the food offers but more due to his symbol of happiness and prosperity.  In the olden days it showed people you came from high statue and wealth to be on the heavier side.         

1 comment:

  1. I like that ... I could pretend it's still the olden days ;)

    ReplyDelete