Thursday 23 February 2012

Thailand Deserts

There isn't many sweets here in Thailand in the sense of cookies and cakes.  Thai's have a very different kind of sweet tooth if you can even call it that.  


Crepes are a big hit down here, but in no way compare to the crepes in Germany!  Crepes here aren't filled with an assortment of fruit but rather have a paste.  This is the fanciest crepe that I have seen here in Thailand.  The white paste inside is sweet egg whites while the orange stuff is concoction made with egg yolk.  It is very sweet.  Ironically as I'm writing about these crepes I'm munching on them.

Unlike back home there is no such thing as jello cups here, though you can buy packages of jello sugar to make.  This jello is called Pandan and has very little flavour.  Mon usually puts a cube of this, along with rice and hard boiled eggs, out for Buddha when there is a full or half moon.



Roti Saimai is a thai style cotton candy.  You can not eat just one, or, two, or five of these.  You have to continue to eat these until your tummy hurts or you run out.  You wrap strands of spun string into a rice paper crepe.  (Like I said crepes are very popular down here :P)  This was one of the first things I ate when I got down here and I have fallen in love with them.  Unfortunately they don't last more than a day so I'm not going to be able to smuggle a lot back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment