Friday 9 March 2012

Taiwanese School

At the dreadful hour of 5:30 Julia and I got up for school.  Dressed in our school uniforms we went to the University for Chinese class.  There are nine students in the class, all of which are exchange students.  The teacher included me in the class activities and even had the students ask me questions in Chinese.  They were all so very curious.
Julia,  Holley (an exchange student from Alberta), Lucie, and I went to Ximending for lunch during the school break.  We found some super cool graffiti which was remarkable.  After lunch we went to Julia's high school.  I wasn't technically allowed to be there but Julia, Lucie, and Elycia snuck me in by dressing me in the school uniform.
Zongshan Municipal school is an all girls school which has very strict rules.  Girls are not allowed to wear makeup or nail polish and must wear their proper uniform (so not PE uniform) in and out of the school.  Students are also not allowed to leave for lunch.  School is attended from 8am till 4:10pm or later.  This depends on if you have joined a club and what club it is.  In school the exchange students spend most of their time sleeping or watching movies.  This is because they can not understand the lesson with the amount of chinese they know or the teachers doesn't speak english.  Even if the teacher does speak english they need to spend their time with those students who need to get good grades. This year of schooling does not count for Lucie, Elycia, and Lucia.  I stayed in the classroom for about thirty minutes, which was absolutely boring!  That was until Julia received a text message saying that one of the rule-enforcing-people were coming and that I needed to hide.  Julia quickly dragged me out of class and shut me in the bathroom.  I stayed there until Elycia and Lucie found me.  Moments later Julia came back informing us that the coast was clear.  We went to the cafeteria and got ourselves a pearl milk tea spending the last hour outside.
After school Julia and I met up with Holly and went to the Shilin night market.  We spent about five hours there shopping and eating foreign food.  I ate stinky tofu which tastes like shit, pig blood rice which was delicious, barbecue corn, and a fruit called Buddhas head.  How ironic.  

No comments:

Post a Comment