Friday 23 March 2012

New News at the Village

Today was yet another busy day in Thailand.  I don't think those of you back home will consider it busy but for here it was.  We all got up at 6:30 and went to the temple to feed the monks.  This happens four times a month when the moon is either half or full.  What Mon does on these mornings is first she chants to Buddha inside, then she chants to Buddha outside.  Then everyone goes to the temple and we lay food out for the monks.  After you lay down the food, you must scoop a spoon full of rice into nine pots.  You must also distribute water into nine canisters.  This is what everyone does. The monks chant before they eat and then do so again after.  This is the rather boring part of the ceremony since it seems to take forever and all you do is keep your hands together in a prayer like position.     
Once they had finally finished chanting I drove the family and I out to the village so that we could go visit Mon's brother.  Mon spent most the day sleeping, the kids played with their friends, and I sat in a hammock and read.  We also spent time playing with Sak and Peelawon's new puppy.  Along with a new dog they built an extension onto their house which looks really good.  
                               
While at the village one of Peelawon's dogs tried to bite Taiten.  Later on while I was walking by the same dog I tried to stay as far away from it as possible.  I seriously think dogs can smell fear since it started to come after me.  Thank goodness Sa was walking by and came to my rescue.  Five o'clock eventually rolled around and it was time to take Bow to Taekwondo.  While Bow had Taekwondo I went to Mew's house where we did english. 
Mon's brother is staying out at the village and is being cared for by Peelawon and Sak.  Mon told me that he isn't able to walk until he gets stronger.  More news out at the village.  They are building three new houses out there which are looking very nice.  I will be sure to take a photo the next time I am out there.     

No comments:

Post a Comment