Sunday 27 May 2012

Spicy Food

I remember the first week that I arrived in Thailand, Mon had made this dish.  Being in Thailand has altered my prospective of spicy.  I can eat something and believe it is spicy but Mon or Bow have no problem eating it.  (Taiten won't eat anything spicy)  I have learned now that you know something is spicy to one of them when Bow is crying and Mon steals your glass of water after drinking all her own.  They also do the loud breathing and sticking out their tongue sometimes.

Most of their dishes have a combination of some kinda chili and fish sauce.  Its amazing how much chilis and rice these people go through.  Fish sauce doesn't have that much flavouring but is added to give stuff a bit of liquid.  I swear all these people need to cook a good meal is oil, eggs (we go through about 48 eggs a week), fish sauce, and chilis.

Some of the stuff that Mon cooks is so spicy it hurts to breath.  The spice gets gets stuck in your throat and makes you cough.  When these days occur I usually have to have a cup of water on hand at all times.

Sometimes I might eat something and its not spicy so I will continue to eat it.  Than it hits you like a backhand to the face.  Holy man!  The key to eating spicy food is to work your way up gradually and to have something to get rid of the toxin.  The best is to have a cucumber or cabbage.  Cucumbers have saved my life and my lips a few times.

I have eaten spicy to the point that I have had a huge stomach ache afterwards.  When Bow and I eat are spicy noodles we can never only just have one bowl.  We of course needed seconds which just nearly kills us.  After are second bowl of noodles we usually go for a swim to cool off.



No comments:

Post a Comment