Wednesday 23 May 2012

Bugs for Lunch

The next morning Andrea and I got up in time to get the kids ready for school.  After we had dropped the kids off at school Mon took Andrea and I to the market so we could purchase bugs.  Haha no joke.  We actually bought bugs, to eat!
I absolutely love the market.  Every time I go there I discover something new and disgusting that Thai people eat.  They literally have everything from fried frogs to crickets!  When I went with Andrea and Mon they even had turtles.  So once back at the house Andrea and I had lunch which of course consisted of peanut sauce with noodles and are recently purchased bugs. 
Let me describe these bugs for you.  The outside was hard and crunch which was good except they were extremely salty.  The inside was a network of fried guts which oozed juice the moment you bite through the bugs shell.  Just describing it is making my mouth water. 
When Mon came inside and saw Andrea spitting into the garbage can and me performing the "that-was-so gross-dance" she investigated our remaining plate of bugs.  Mon informed us that we were suppose to take of the shell and eat the inside.  I personally preferred the outside.  The texture of the inside was what had gotten to me.  
After we had finished eating our delicious lunch Andrea and I took the scooter to the Ancient city.  On the way we stopped into about cafe were I have made friends with the owner.  We ordered smoothies and chatted with Dao for a while.
I had no problem finding both entrances to the ruins.  The park is split into two different areas and only one side I had visited before.  This time I got to see both sides with Andrea which was a lot of fun.  We spent almost the whole day there and by the time we were finished we were both hot and sweaty.
So are solution was to go back to the house and go for a swim.  We turned on music and relaxed by the pool which is how I usually spend my days when the kids are at school and Mon is at the village.  Once the kids got home we did english together and played cards.  In the evening Andrea and I went to the night market.  I couldn't believe the amount of people who actually spoke english or at least the numbers.  I however talked Thai with them to achieve a bigger discount and also to improve my thai-communicate.    



    

No comments:

Post a Comment