Sunday 27 May 2012

Feet

Buddhism emphasizes the head as being sacred while the feet are vulgar.  Since Monks aren't allowed to wear shoes to show respect you must remove yours when interacting with them.  Once a Monk has become older they are allowed, but due to modernization you will see plenty of Monks walking around with sandals on.      
You must always remove your shoes when going into a house and most stores.  You should also never touch anything buddhist to the feet.  For instance when I was at a temple ceremony in Phichit we all received a piece of string.  This string is significant since everyone held on to it while the Monks chanted, making it good luck.  
Everything can be turned into good luck down here.  Washing the Monks bathrooms is suppose to bring you good luck, and even receiving a bottle of water will if you drink a little bit each day.  Finding a parking spot in the market, or not having an accident while driving.  The string that was going to be discarded I was using to pretend to tie Taiten's ankles together.  Oh Boy was that wrong!  I have never seen such quick reactions out of Thai people before.  Mon started shaking her finger at me and Bow gave me a disgusted look.  That was my first scolding.
Also gesturing to certain objects is a no no.  I pointed to all of Bow's school books with my foot one day. Bow said since she learned with the books its considered rude to point to them with your feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment